Here is a list of some common springtime products that we just wanted you to be aware of:
Fertilizers: Some organic fertilizers are made from bone, blood, iron or feather meal and can seem quite appetizing to some dogs. Although the fertilizer itself is extremely safe, it can cause severe obstructions in some dogs that ingest large quantities and cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Spring bulbs: Tulips, daffodils, Narcissus and hyacinth bulbs are dangerous to dogs. Ingesting these bulbs can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, and large quantities of these bulbs can cause an increased heart and respiratory rate. Spring crocuses can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats.
Slug, snail bait, insecticides and pesticides: Slug and snail bait is highly poisonous to both dogs and cats. Many insecticides and pesticides are skin irritants. Please be sure to read all labels carefully when using them around your home.
Compost: Keep well away from pets. Compost is decomposed foods that encourage natural mold growth but ingesting it can cause extreme illness in your pet in less than 30 minutes. Symptoms include agitation, panting, drooling, vomiting, tremors and seizures.
By: Snelgrove Vet Services
“Keeping pets healthy and happy for over 30 years”
Don’t forget to read last weeks blog about Lilies!