Meet Charlie


Meet Charlie. Charlie is a 10 month old Bichon Frise X who came in on a Tuesday morning because his owners noticed he was vomiting, feeling down in the dumps and had stopped eating.

Typically a happy-go-lucky puppy, Charlie would just lay down in the backyard instead of running around like he normally would. His pet parents knew there was something wrong. Upon examination by Dr. Judy da Costa, it was found that he seemed painful in his abdomen. We proceeded to run some bloodwork and take some x-rays.

Here is what we found:

char3                                    char1

Charlie had definitely swallowed something he shouldn’t have, but most surprising was what his bloodwork showed. Charlie had a condition called pancreatitis, which is inflammation of the pancreas.

Pancreatitis is an extremely painful condition that is usually caused by eating fatty meals. Aside from doing renovations on their home and possibly being exposed to that, Charlie’s owners couldn’t think of anything else he could have gotten into.

Based on a combination of the results of our testing and the history we received from Charlie’s owners, a decision was made that surgical intervention was necessary to remove the object, in case of perforation, and that the pancreatitis would be treated with supportive care.

Charlie made it through surgery with flying colours  and the retrieval of an earring was successful!



Next, we proceeded to treat him on a day-to-day basis using intravenous fluids and antibiotics, as well as medications to ease his stomach and to control his pain.

Charlie has recovered beautifully and is back to being his happy-go-lucky self.

From all the staff at Snelgrove Veterinary Services, we couldn’t be happier.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s